VIDEO: Qt Technology Preview On The Nokia N900
Friday, 09 October 2009 10:14
Written by Apocalypso.
NAs we mentioned earlier this morning, Nokia has announced official Qt port to Maemo which was previously only available as an internal community project.
This release also marks an important milestone for the open source community and another significant milestone in Qt's life as developers can now use Qt to target the upcoming N900 device.
Nokia vision is to have Qt Everywhere and to enable you to create advanced applications with innovative user experiences while getting to market quickly. With the release of Qt port to Maemo 5, Nokia is are further broadening its embedded offering and allows you to code once and deploy across major device and desktop operating systems.
The Qt for Maemo Technology Preview is available under a special technology preview license. This early unsupported pre-release, contains all Qt modules and features the same functionality as the Qt on X11 version.
Anyway, here’s another video straight from the lab showing Qt on the N900. Watch it if you want to get an impression of what you can expect from Qt on Maemo devices.
- Native look & feel via Hildonized style
- Hardware acceleration with OpenGL ES 2
- Input method support (hardware keyboard and software keyboard)
- Global menu integration - QMenuBar will be mapped to Maemo’s global menu
- Online/offline support in libQtNetwork
- Standard Dialogs support (e.g. file dialog)
- Maemo stacked widget support
- Multimedia playback via Phonon
Note that the Maemo SDK contains a full emulator, so even without owning a device, you can test how your Qt app will look and feel on a N900 device.
Download link for the source code:
Public git repository:
Source: QT blogs